Generally, the public knows drinking is not good for their health just like they know the same thing about smoking. However, such activities prevail in nearly all the countries of the world. People would drink despite knowing the adverse effects. In fact, hundreds of thousands of people would lose their lives to their drinking problem. What makes alcohol worse than smoking cigarettes is that not only does it causes physical and mental damage, but it also results in hundreds and thousands of road accidents every year. Here is a detail of various health risks of drinking alcohol.
The Serious yet Short Term Risks of Drinking
- The first big disadvantage of drinking is the inability to drive properly. This results in serious accidents on the roads and loss of thousands of lives every year.
- Drinking too much can increase the levels of alcohol in your blood to a critical level leading to a condition called alcohol poisoning.
- When a person starts drinking heavily, their behavior changes completely. They can become violent in their overall conduct.
- Irresponsible sexual behavior can also arise from drinking too much. Unprotected sex can result in various societal problems as well as the spread of STDs – sexually transmitted diseases.
- The biggest harm women can do to themselves is when they drink during pregnancy. This can often result in miscarriage or other serious problems such as FASD – fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.
The Life Threatening and Long Term Risks of Drinking
- One of the most dangerous things alcohol use does to you is increasing the chance of your heart failure. According to recent studies it’s not just the quantity of alcohol that goes in your body that can cause heart failure. In the study it was observed that drinking patterns also contributed to lower or higher risks of heart failure. (Source)
- Alcohol is associated with not only one but many different types of cancers in the body. From colon cancer to liver and mouth cancer, all can be caused by excessive alcohol consumption. The quantity of the alcohol consumed considered too much is higher for men than it is for women. However, heavy drinking in women has also resulted in increased cases of breast cancer. (Source)
- Alcohol consumption in excessive quantities can also take its toll on your mental abilities. Not only will it deprive you of logical and rational thinking, but it will cause a variety of other mental illnesses as well. Anxiety and depression are two of the serious mental conditions that can arise from excessive use of alcohol. Heavy drinkers can put their mental abilities in danger and get into permanent depression if they don’t stop drinking. Moderate use of alcohol, on the other hand, might not cause such mental malfunctioning. (Source)
- Lastly, the worst that alcohol can do to you is making you alcohol dependent. Once you have become alcohol dependent, your life has reached its lowest low possible.
Drinking too much is going to cause problems in your life. From mental condition to bad physical health and ethical issues, alcohol abuse can take you into the darkest corners of life. Keep away from alcohol use and ask your loved ones to do the same.